Move To Second Place in Points Standings
Merchant Services Racing continued to cement their place as a true championship contender at Road America for the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón Road Race Showcase. Taking the Prototype Challenge pole position and putting the No. 8 Lamex, Butterfield Farms ORECA on the podium made for a successful weekend.
Fielding two cars for the event, Alder slated Chapman Ducote and James French to join Kyle Marcelli in the No. 8 Lamex, Butterfield Farms ORECA, along with Anthony, Lucas and Matt Downs piloting the No. 7 sister car.
“I’m pretty happy with today’s results,” Alder continued. “We continued our streak of podium finishes, both cars ran flawless and the crew nailed their pit stops. I think had we caught a few breaks, we might have moved up a couple of spots.”
The team had high hopes after Kyle Marcelli qualified the No. 8 car on the pole for the Prototype Challenge cars. Marcelli shattered the previous PC track record by over one second with a lap time of 1:57.172 – six tenths quicker than 3-time 24 Hour Le Mans Winner Tom Kimber-Smith, Indy Car veteran Bruno Junquiera and sports car standout, Marino Franchitti.
“Kyle was outstanding… both in qualifying and the race” said Alder. “And I was really impressed with the opening stints of Antonio Downs and James French. The opening stint for the prototype Challenge cars is really tough. They’re battling a lot of traffic while they struggle to get their tires up to temperature. These guys did great.”
“I want to congratulate the Core team on winning the 2012 Prototype Challenge Team Championship,” said team principal, Brian Alder. “They were very strong all day and in the closing laps, we just didn’t have anything for them.”
The weekend results move the team in to second place in the team Championship.
The American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón next heads to the streets of Baltimore, Md., for Round 7 of the championship. The Baltimore Sports Car Challenge presented by SRT is scheduled for 4:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, Sept. 1 on the temporary street circuit in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor. ABC’s broadcast begins at noon ET on Sunday, Sept. 2. Full, live coverage starts at 4:15 p.m. ET on ESPN3.
The American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón is the world`s leading sports car championship and is recognized as the Global Leader in Green Racing. In the tradition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, multiple classes of cars – purpose-built prototypes and production-based Grand Touring automobiles – race on the track at the same time to create compelling race action and constant passing. All cars in the Series compete using one of five approved alternative fuels or energy sources: clean sulfur-free diesel, cellulosic E85 or E10, Isobutanol and electric hybrid technologies. The Series has more automobile marques involved than any other major race series in the world as manufacturers develop relevant technologies on track that transfer directly to the customer showroom. The ALMS competes at North America`s premier road racing tracks and selected temporary street circuits in major urban markets.
Road America Road Race Showcase
Road America, Elkhart Lake, Wis.
1. (35) Chris Dyson, Pleasant Valley, NY; Guy Smith, Beverley, UK; Lola B12/60 Mazda (1, P1), 101.
2. (1) Klaus Graf, Germany; Lucas Luhr, Germany; HPD ARX-03a Honda (2, P1), 101.
3. (2) Tony Burgess, Canada; Michael Marsal, Bedford, NY; Eric Lux, Jacksonville, FL; Lola B11/66 Mazda (3, P1), 101.
4. (3) David Heinemeier Hansson, Chicago, IL; Martin Plowman, Indianapolis, IN; Morgan/Nissan (4, P2), 101.
5. (7) Tom Kimber-Smith, England; Jon Bennett, Fort Mill, SC; Alex Popow, Lecheria, VE; Oreca FLM09 (5, PC), 100.
6. (34) Jon Bennett, Fort Mill, SC; Colin Braun, Ovalo, TX; Oreca FLM09 (6, PC), 100.
7. (6) James French, Sheboygan, WI; Kyle Marcelli, Barrie, ON; Chapman Ducote, Miami, FL; Oreca FLM09 (7, PC), 100.
8. (8) Bruno Junqueira; Roberto Gonzalez, Mexico City, Mex; Oreca FLM09 (8, PC), 100.
9. (9) Joe Foster, Lawrenceville, GA; Patrick Dempsey, Malibu, CA; Ben Devlin, England; Lola B12/87-Judd BMW V8 (9, P2), 99.
10. (12) Duncan Ende, Los Angeles; Henri Richard, Los Altos Hills, CA; Oreca FLM09 (10, PC), 99.
11. (4) Scott Tucker, Leawood, KS; Christophe Bouchut, France; HPD ARX-03b Honda (11, P2), 99.
12. (5) Luis Diaz, Mexico; Scott Tucker, Leawood, KS; HPD ARX-03b (12, P2), 98.
13. (16) Bill Auberlen, Hermosa Beach, CA; Jorg Muller, Germany; BMW E92 M3 (1, GT), 97.
14. (14) Jorg Bergmeister; Patrick Long, Oak Park, CA; Porsche 911 GT3 RSR (2, GT), 97.
15. (18) Johannes van Overbeek, San Francisco, CA; Scott Sharp, Jupiter, FL; Ferrari F458 Italia (3, GT), 97.
16. (15) Oliver Gavin; Tom Milner, Leesburg, VA; Corvette C6-ZR1 (4, GT), 97.
17. (11) Antonio Downs, Minneapolis, MN; Matt Downs, North Mankato, MN; Lucas Downs, North Mankoto, MN; Oreca FLM09 (5, PC), 97.
18. (22) Sascha Maassen, Aachen, DE; Bryce Miller, Hoboken, NJ; Porsche 911 GT3 RSR (6, GT), 97.
19. (17) Antonio Garcia, Barcelona, ES; Jan Magnussen, Roskilde, DK; Corvette C6-ZR1 (7, GT), 97.
20. (21) Townsend Bell, Santa Monica, CA; Bill Sweedler, Westport, CT; Lotus Evora/Cosworth (8, GT), 97.
21. (13) Marco Holzer, Austria; Seth Neiman, Burlingame, CA; Porsche 911 GT3 RSR (9, GT), 96.
22. (23) Dominik Farnbacher, Germany; Kuno Wittmer, Montreal, ON; SRT Viper GTSR (10, GT), 96.
23. (19) Dirk Mueller; Jonathon Summerton; BMW E92 M3 (11, GT), 95.
24. (25) Guy Cosmo, Long Island, NY; Ed Brown, Las Vegas, NV; Anthony Lazzaro, Acworth, GA; Ferrari F458 Italia (12, GT), 95.
25. (26) Cooper MacNeil, Hinsdale, IL; Jeroen Bleekemolen, Netherlands; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (1, GTC), 93.
26. (31) Chris Cumming, Vancouver, BC; Martin Ragginger, Austria; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (2, GTC), 93.
27. (27) Damien Faulkner, Mouille, IE; Peter Lesaffre, Rye, NH; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (3, GTC), 93.
28. (32) Michael Avenatti, Lagunna Beach, CA; Bob Faieta, Tujunga, CA; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (4, GTC), 93.
29. (33) Alex Welch, Englewood, CA; Rene Villeneuve, Woodland Hills; James Sofronas, Newport Beach, CA; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (5, GTC), 93.
30. (28) Patrick Huisman, Hengelo, NL; Brian Wong, Newport Beach, CA; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (6, GTC), 91.
31. (20) Wolf Henzler; Bryan Sellers, Centerville, OH; Porsche 911 GT3 RSR (13, GT), 75.
32. (29) Angel Andres Benitez, Jr, Valencia, VE; Angel Raphael Benitez, Sr, Valencia, VE; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (7, GTC), 71.
33. (30) Spencer Pumpelly, Atlanta, GA; Emilio Di Guida, Venezuela; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (8, GTC), 69.
34. (24) Marc Goosens, Belgium; Tommy Kendall, New Smyrna Beach, FL; SRT Viper GTSR (14, GT), 45.
35. (10) Rudy Junco Jr., Monterrey; Marino Franchitti, Scotland; Oreca FLM09 (15, PC), 23, Accident.